Re: [SLE] Sometimes Linux makes me crazy.
  • From: Dylan <dylan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 03:02:59 +0000
On Sunday 27 Feb 2005 02:27 am, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Dylan, Stephen,
>
> On Saturday 26 February 2005 17:55, Dylan wrote:
> > On Sunday 27 Feb 2005 01:12 am, Stephen Furlong wrote:
> > <SNIP>
> >
> > > Also in my opinion Linux is designed for tinkerer's/computer
> > > geek's as it is nowhere near ready for mainstream distribution,
> > > nor will it be for a long time in my opinion.
> >
> > I can't agree with that at all.
>
> I concur with you (in your contradiction to Stephen's claim). I
> install Linux and pretty much live with the configuration it
> provides. I install the provided security patches. What customization
> I do, and I do a lot, is all on top of the stock system, not a
> modification to it.

I do a fair amount of post-install configuration, but that's how I
learnt about the system in the first place.

<SNIP>
> > > People just aren't keyed up enough
> > > in whole on computers to be able to understand linux.
>
> This is really not to the point. If it's true, and it probably is,
> it's equally true of Windows (and, possibly, MacOS, though probably
> less so). People sometimes compare contemporary computer technology
> to the automotive technology of much of the first half of the 20th
> century. Then, you could not just buy a car and use it to get around
> as you do now. You had to be prepared to deal with unpredictable and
> ongoing problems. I'd like to expect that we (I speak as a computer
> scientist and a software engineer) will be able to put information
> technology on a much more reliable basis, but so far, it's just not
> that way. The truth is that we don't have the theoretical
> underpinnings to make it possible.

And from a more practical POV there are not yet the necessary standards
(system internal and inter-system) nor compliance with the ones we do
have. Also, in addition to that, users are not yet generally aware of
what systems *can* do, and how they are constrained, hence there are
often 'needs' (read 'wants') which can only be partially satisfied, and
systems are pushed beyond their limits in the attempt to expand
capabilities and overcome constraints. That, to me, is one of the core
strengths of OSS - if functionality is required or a constraint needs
to be eliminated then we have the code so we can work on it.

Dylan

--
"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine"
                                  -Dark Helmet