Realtek ALC850 - jack sensing problems
  • From: Adalberto Castelo <castelo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:25:41 -0500
I've been having some annoying problems with my Realtek ALC850 (AC'97)
on-board sound (I have a A8V Deluxe mobo (amd 64)), and I finally narrowed it
down to the jack sensing technology (I think). Basically, this board tries to
figure out how many speakers you have connected to the board, and decides
which channels to send to each jack.

Problem is, mine seems to be doing a lousy job at it: I get a monoaural signal
to my speakers, loosing the right channel; if I connect my headphones to the
same jack, I get stereo. I have a 2.1 set (Bose Companion 3), which only uses
one jack (line out or spkrs). I get the same effect with my old 2.1 Yamaha
speakers (bought a new set because I thought they had died ...sigh...).

Speakers have been checked on a different machine, and work.

My question is: Anyone with this hardware managed to make it work? How did you
do it? What kernel version did you use? What module options? What do you have
connected to it?

I'm using SuSE 9.2 stock (up to date with the patches), 64 bit.

I'd appreciate some help! TIA
  • No further messages