Re: [SLE] Sometimes Linux makes me crazy.
  • From: Danny Sauer <suse-linux-e.suselists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:44:55 -0600
On Saturday 26 February 2005 12:40 pm, Ken Schneider wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 13:21, Alex Daniloff wrote:
> > On Saturday 26 February 2005 09:25 am, Ken Schneider wrote:
> > <snipped>
> >
> > > <opinion>
> > >
> > > How many posts do we get on this list from new users asking for help
> > > for something that is obvious to the seasoned user but -not- obvious
> > > to the newbie. And many times all they are told is to google for the
> > > answer. Instead show them the google link as well to get them
> > > started. Keep in mind that we were -all- newbies at one point in
> > > time. Think back to what you had to go through when you first started
> > > out and try to make it easier for the newbie. This will help more to
> > > converting MS users to linux in the long run.
> >
> > The question is why to convert MS users to Linux?
>
> Short answer $ (cost). Not just for the OS but also for the apps.

If people were concerned about cost, MS wouldn't be able to charge several
hundred dollars for a crummy OS that's no more user-friendly than a typical
out-of-the-box KDE-on-Linux install. Somehow, though, people still buy it.
Somehow, lots of computers are sold every day to people who don't even know
what an operating system is.

The success of Linux is not hinged upon converting all computers over to
Linux. I'd make that sentence bold and include it in every FAQ on the
internet, if I could.

There are trade-offs involved in any computer OS. Windows gets you a
factory install and an environment that many are familiar with, but costs a
lot and isn't very secure/stable/etc. Macs get you a shiny OS that's not
configurable, wastes CPU, and costs a lot (and you're stuck on a mac).
Linux gets you a whole lot of choices, but requires that you make a whole
lot of decisions and learn about those decisions.

Somehow all 3 have managed to succeed in their target markets. And this is
all irrelevant to the post that was replied to - which was a specific
comment geared to a specific person who did, in fact, already know his was
around Linux. :)

--Danny