Re: [SLE] Sometimes Linux makes me crazy.
  • From: Allen <gorebofh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 02:37:38 -0500
On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:08:02PM -0800, Tony Alfrey wrote:

> >Chris Carlen wrote:

> <snip>
>

> >>I'm really getting fed up. It's not just Linux's or Suse's or KDE's
> >>fault. The software industry is broken, thanks to a large degree to
> >>the anticompetitive atmosphere. And the stupidity of the marketplace
> >>that demands new features and accepts mediocre quality.

For the original message, the fact 8.2 worked and 9.X didn't well, think
about it, one has the 2.4 Kernel, the other has 2.6

That's a HUGE difference my friend. My laptop, would run GREAT with 8.2 and
9.1 had lots of problems, and then after 9.2 was put on, NO TROUBLES. It
really depends on a lot, mainly drivers.

> >>I've considered Mac. I wonder if it's any better?

*Cringe*

> <snip>
>
> I run SUSE 9.1, 8.1 and various other flavors of linux. But I also run
> the Free BSD kernel disguised behind a popular GUI known as Mac OS X
> 10.3 ;-)

Free BSD is only at the core of it and VERY moded.

> And all I can say is that I think it is worth every penny. I love
> fussing with linux, free or otherwise, working or not. But the Mac is
> simply awesome. Nothing broken about that end of the software industry.

Hmm maybe I just pushed the one I used at school way to much. I mean gee it
only had TWO 1 GHz processors a GIG of RAM and a 30 INCH FLAT SCREEN MAC
Monitor, and I had it lagging so bad it was barely useable.... All I had
open was image editing software I had to use and it was lagging terribly
and started crashing.

It kind of made me laugh thinking this box I'm typing from only has one
processor and it's MUCH slower than even ONE of the processors that Mac had
and less than a quarter of the RAM and I can use GIMP with SUSE, and do the
SAME shit, without it lagging.

I don't think I've had many good Mac OS experiences. Bothers me to hear you
say it was worth every penny considering how many you need just for
the hardware of a Mac.