Re: [SLE] Sometimes Linux makes me crazy.
  • From: Allen <gorebofh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 03:05:51 -0500
On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 04:06:27PM -0500, Joe Zien wrote:
> Chris Carlen wrote:
>
> >contiemilio@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> >>Hi all
> >>I just bought a notebook for my daughter (Dell Inspiron 510m).
> >>Tested with Knoppix 3.7 (wonderful)
> >>Tested with FreeSBIE 1.0 (see above). Then, yesterday in the
> >>afternoon, I tried to install SuSE 9.1: yast did not start in
> >>graphical mode or with incredible colours and characters if I changed
> >>the screen resolution on boot.
> >>Since I am quite curious I tried SuSE 9.2 (same result), Mandrake
> >>10.0 (same result), SuSE 8.2 (WORKS FINE!!)
> >>
> >>Is there anyone thet can explain to me such a behaviour
> >>
> >>Ciao
> >>emilio
> >

> >I have been using Linux for about 9 years, and Suse for about 5. IMHO
> >is may actually be getting worse with each passing version. Too many
> >features added with not enough rigorous testing. Mainly on the user
> >side, KDE and the like.

What is it you use that is so horrible? I use Xine, XMMS, Vi, Mutt, and
firefox and have no problems, most of the other things I use come with
Bash.

> >I'd get simply fired for writing software like this, in embedded
> >control. That is if nobody got killed by a rampaging 100HP motor.
> >Otherwise it could be worse.

Well when they start getting paid for writing Open Source and Free
software, you can say that and it will matter.

> >I'm considering another OS. But which one? Actually Win2k works
> >rather well, for a user. But I find the UI very constraining. And
> >it's a dead-end. I won't touch XP, don't trust it for a second.

Yea, have to love 2000 and the no longer fixed IE it has shoved up it's ass
that no proctologist in the world can remove.

http://www.freedos.org

> >I'm really getting fed up. It's not just Linux's or Suse's or KDE's
> >fault. The software industry is broken, thanks to a large degree to
> >the anticompetitive atmosphere. And the stupidity of the marketplace
> >that demands new features and accepts mediocre quality.

So get off your chair and write something better. That's how Linux was
started in the first place.

> >I've considered Mac. I wonder if it's any better?
> >
> >The sad thing is, that after all these years, and 5 years at my
> >company, at this point I would recommend against deploying Linux/Suse
> >as a GP OS there. I used to evangelize about Linux. Now I'm a
> >laughingstock, as everyone simply gets their work done on their
> >Windows PCs while I figure out which of the 4 possible drivers (one I
> >hand hacked from Windows NT, is the one that works best) for the HP
> >Laserjet 5000 printer will allow me to duplex pages.

Keep letting them laugh when the next Worm is released and chokes them like
they need.

> >that driver when I print labels with OpenOffice, I get big black
> >blobs. Oh, have to use the other driver for that, the one found after
> >wandering the internet. And so on, and so on, and so on, all day
> >long. It's just one example of many.

Yea and all of that is no one's fault but Linux..... Hell why blame HP for
not releasing decent drivers when you can blame the OS!

> >There are some folks at work who have to use Linux for running strange
> >scientific programs. Why is it that if this were so great, that they
> >wouldn't then expand their use of those machines to do other aspects
> >of their work? The answer is obvious, because they have to tinker and
> >fuss and pee away hours of time just to get the thing set up enough to
> >run their one program right.

If you honestly have THAT much trouble getting something as easy as SUSE to
work properly you really should think about trading in your machines for an
abacus.

> >stick in a flash drive to transfer the data to their other PC, and
> >whammo! another several hours down the drain to figure out why there
> >are a bunch of quirks that make it not work quite right until you
> >tinker and fuss... Get the picture?

Yes, you're incompetent.

> >have tried it but don't want a new hobby: this is not what they want
> >to spend their time on. They want to get their work done, and it
> >isn't helping them to achieve that end.

So don't use it.

> >So sad. Maybe for very limited tasks this OS would be Ok.

Seems like that's all you could handle anyway.

>>One where
> >the programs to run and operations to be performed by the user were
> >all checked out. But for a general purpose OS, this is a big waste of
> >time.

Yea, it blows doesn't it? I've yet to have a problem running Linux and have
yet to have some problem like any you talked about. Maybe user errors are
frequent?

>>Of course, as a server it's wonderful.

Wait, you said up there that this OS is only OK for very limited tasks.
Server use would be at the bottom as that's FAR from limited.
Contradiction, not something you want in ONE post / RANT.

>> But I am growing
> >convinced that 10 years from now the same people will be spouting
> >about how Linux desktop is so great, and it works fine for me, and it
> >will still have 1% market share. And they will never get it. Why 1%
> >market share? Because people didn't choose it. Ironically, paying
> >money for Windows seemed like a more beneficial transaction to them
> >then using the free alternative.

Well make Linus a Billion dollar prick that won't let anyone put his
software on the computers unless they install ONLY his software and it
would be different.

> >Interestingly, I am finding that using OSS programs like Firefox,
> >Mozilla, OO.org, etc. on Win2k is much more pleasant. They work
> >rather well there. I just wish I could have multiple desktops, and a
> >meaningful CLI, etc. There is no perfect system. And in an
> >anticompetitive marketplace, I don't expect things to get better.

Just a big ray of sunshine and puppies aren't you?

> >Good day!
> >

> Hi Chris,
>
> I agree with you 100%.
> I started with SuSE 6.2 and used most up to 9.2 and 7.1 was the best.

And when SUSE 90.99 comes out you'll be talking about the days when 36.0
was the best....

> Nothing but trouble with 9.1 and 9.2.

Funny after installing it on 5 machines I've yet to have one problem. They
are nothing alike in hardware, one is a Compaq, an old HP, a Dell Laptop,
and a Medion.

> I would suggest you try libranet 2.8, a debian distribution, and a free
> download at libranet.com.

Yea, then you can use software older than some of it's users. What does
that come with again? KDE 3.0?

> Debian has apt-get to update, better than rpm.

Shit it better be with as many security fixes as Debian has EACH DAY.