Re: [SLE] Sometimes Linux makes me crazy.
  • From: Andre Truter <andre.truter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:44:07 +0200
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 03:05:51 -0500, Allen <gorebofh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Nothing but trouble with 9.1 and 9.2.
>
> Funny after installing it on 5 machines I've yet to have one problem. They
> are nothing alike in hardware, one is a Compaq, an old HP, a Dell Laptop,
> and a Medion.

Funny enough, I also don't have any problems with SuSE 9.2.
I have it running on a wide variety of machines, PI MMX, PII, PIII,
PIV, Pentium M, Athlon and Sempron. It runs without problems on all
of them.

I do all kinds of things on the machines, from watching DVD and all
kinds of video formats, right through to development work and servers.

I have had problems with certain canon printers, but there is no
driver for it, because canon does not support Linux very well.
I can hardly blame Linux for this, especially if I take into account
that 90% of the software is written by people that do not get paid for
it and a lot of the drivers are written without much much help from
the vendor.

You go and try to write a driver for a piece of equipment with limited
API information and no support from the vendor.

If you go to SuSE's site and look at the supported hardware list, then
you can complain only about hardware that is listed there. If it is
not listed there, then you have no ground of complaining.

Anyway, I think that Linux is wonderful, especially if you think that
this is software written and maintained mostly by people doint it in
thier free time and it competes with software written by people that
get paid to do it. I am quite happy with Linux, and if something
does not work, then I can help out by trying to fix it.

--
Andre Truter | Software Engineer | Registered Linux user #185282
ICQ #40935899 | AIM: trusoftzaf | http://www.trusoft.za.org