Enterprise solution with handheld(s)
  • From: Brad Bourn <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:44:46 -0700
Hey all,

An opportunity has come up for me to pitch an opensource solution. I'd like
any advice I can get. Here is my situation.

<background>
My primary responsibility is programming. I maintain the computers/network
for the admin side of the building in my spare time. We have a SuSE 8.2 Pro
box running qmail and internal php/mysql app. We have an NT4 Server for
Domain authentication and Shared Drive. The president of the company uses a
laptop and palm to do most of his business. When on the road, he'll use his
dialup account to a local provider here to access his email because it is too
complicated to lookup and provide a local number. He is wanting to get rid
of his palm because he gets duplicate entry's when his secretary's sync to
their computers to keep his schedule with Outlook.

He had bought a CE device at one time but ended up not using it because it was
too complicated.
</background>

After talking with him this morning, and finding out that he is wanting a
different Palm device (has 5's now) because of duplication. My fist thought
was to enable some sort of collaboration ~server/software~ to keep his
schedule and docs in sync with his secretary's.

Isn't there an Enterprise server from SuSE that does collaboration?

We have wireless (802.11) here and there is mostly WiFi available when he
travels.

Is there a handheld that is Linux based that would work with Maildir format
mail client?
Is there a handheld that is Linux based that would run Crossover Office?
Is there a handheld that is Linux based that would sync with SuSE's
collaboration offering of Calendar, Email, and Contacts?

Thanks in advance

B-)

  • No further messages