Re: [SLE] Sometimes Linux makes me crazy.
  • From: Andre Truter <andre.truter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:49:26 +0200
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:52:01 +0000, Kevin Donnelly <kevin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Monday 28 Feb 2005 19:02, AndyYankovich wrote:
> > Well guys, Linux is a wonderful piece of work **if you are a software
> > engineer**.
>
> Sorry, this is demonstrably not true - I have several people using Linux for
> day-to-day things who just want a computer; they are not software engineers.

Yes, I can vouch for that.
I am in the process of setting up a small network for a client, but
they were impatient and asked for only one machine to be set up and
delivered so that they can start to work on it.

So I installed one machine with SuSE 9.2 and I did not do a lot of the
tweaking that I want to do, due to time contratint. The machine that
they got was basically a standard setup.

The next day they called about problems with a memory stick, but they
had a power failule before I could help them. They said they will
call back.
That was a week ago and they have not yet called back.

Tonight I spoke to one of the managers and asked him if they are using
the system. He said they were very happy. They figured out what they
needed on thier own and are using the system.

Now these are users that were sceptical about using Linux. One guy
mentioned that it took him a long time to learn how to use Excell and
he does not want to learn how to use new software. Well, he found his
way around Linux within a week.

The people using the machine are not engineers or anything technical,
they are managers and buisness people.

To me this means that Linux is easy to use.

But, yes, if you are going to fiddle under the bonnet, don't complain
when you get oil on your clothes.

--
Andre Truter | Software Engineer | Registered Linux user #185282
ICQ #40935899 | AIM: trusoftzaf | http://www.trusoft.za.org