Re: [SLE] No gateway for local addresses
  • From: Vince Littler <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 19:48:21 +0100
On Monday 31 May 2004 1:42 pm, Sergio Dominguez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I guess this is a very basic question, but I do not get anything googling.
> I have several linux machines here in my office, and I'd like that all
> sorts of connection amongst these machines do not pass through the general
> gateway, but go directly from one to the other.
>
> How can I do that?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sergio

Assumption: There is a physical path between all machines that does not go
through the general gateway [or if it does, it goes in and out of the LAN
side of the gateway without passing between the LAN and the WAN sides of the
gateway].

If this is the case, then your setup most probably already meets your
requirement. Google on 'netmask' and 'subnet' and 'IP address'.

Basically all tcp/ip nodes are routers, even if they have only 1 network
interface. S can route to D if:

IP(S) [bitwise AND] netmask(S) = IP(D) [bitwise AND] netmask(S)

Similar requirement for D to route back to S. Of course they must be on the
same media, with or without hubs.

hth

Vince Littler