Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (4547 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [SLE] Suse 9.1 and modem - problem
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 02:52:00 +1000
  • Message-id: <40BB62B0.6040902@xxxxxxxxxx>
Bruce Marshall wrote:
On Monday 31 May 2004 11:40 am, Basil Chupin wrote:

In my message of 18/5 with Subject of "SUSE 9.1 - BAH!" I mentioned that
I was having big problems with getting Suse 9.1 to co-operate with my
modem/modems (either internal or external - but as I have replaced my
internals with externals my comments below only refer to external modems).

Since that message of 18/5 I've been doing some testing and have found
this (summarised):

(a) during the installation of 9.1, at the point where the modem is
first configured, is then tested for connectivity with the ISP and then
the YOU update is allowed to be done - at this point the modem works
perfectly. I get a consistent thruput of 4.4 - 5.9 Kb/s (apart from the
occasional drop, of course).

However, once the REST of the Suse installation is completed, the modem
almost stops working with thruput between 0 and 800+ b/s (not Kb/s but
b/s) coupled with periods of total inactivity lasting minutes.

My testing has shown that it is NOT the YOU update that causes the modem
problem but the completion of the installation- meaning that something
gets installed that causes the problem.

Configuring the modem during the installation, allowing it to dial the
ISP - but not letting YOU to update - and then completing the
installation does not solve the modem problem;

(b) doing a full install of anything OTHER than KDE-related applications
does NOT cause problems with the modem.

If, for example, one installs the GNOME Desktop and not KDE then the
modem works perfectly after the full installation.

In one test I only installed the "Minimum graphical system (without
KDE)" - and got the FVWM 'desktop' - and things worked fine but then I
added GAMES (which are KDE) to this system. Immediately the modem
stopped working correctly;

(c) C Hamel and I have been corresponding privately and he mentioned
earlier tonight that he found a "funny" about the KDE application "k3b".

As a test I re-installed Suse 9.1 with KDE Desktop, Multimedia, Games,
plus a couple of other things I normally insall, BUT I deliberately
omitted installing k3b.

After the full installation the modem was behaving almost normally with
thruput again back to 4.4 - 5.9 Kb/s but with quite a number of
slowdowns and stops. This degradation in performance could have been
caused by the fact that in our part of the world at that time the Net is
used pretty heavily. I will be retesting this during the day time (later
today) to see if the performance is still below par.

In summary, something KDE-related is causing the problem with the
modem(s) - and it may be possible that it is k3b.

I would pass this info onto to Suse Tech Support but I can't find their
address right now. If someone knows it could they please forward this
message to them on my behalf?

(I got my Suse 9.1 on 13 May but haven't been able to use the darn thing
because of the problem with the modem - and I'm getting p***** off :-(.)



I don't recall seeing anything in the above that mentions what you are using for a modem setup (kppp, kinternet, or ??? Not familiar with all of them because I've always used pppd)

Ah, OK.

I use Suse's current default dialer which is kinternet, but when I installed the GNOME desktop it has qinternet and I had to use that. (qinternet is the same as kinternet except for the first letter in the name :-) .)

When I talk about an "install" or a "full install" I mean whatever is pre-selected in Suse to be installed as default when one selects, for example, Games or Multimedia or All of KDE and so on.

The only additional apps I ever install are gftp, kernel-source, pysol, gnome games, and tvtime but for the purposes of the tests I've been doing none of these were installed.


Cheers.


--
I am not young enough to know everything.



< Previous Next >