Winmodem on Toshiba laptop
After a long absence I am back on this list with SuSE Linux
9.1 Prof. - greetings to everbody!
Was quite pleased with it on my desktop PC and ADSL, but on
the Toshiba Satellite laptop its been quite a headache just
configuring a simple analogue dial-up connection with the
built-in winmodem and the ltmodem package on CD #5.

To start with the winmodem is detected and a symbolic link
is created from /dev/modem -> /dev/ttyLT0, and after
configuring the modem and provider everything appears to be
going fine. However after SuSEconfig runs at the end of the
procedure (without any error messages) kinternet fails to
dial-up, returning a mysterious <error code 2> in the log.

Also when running wvdial it fails to connect, returning a
message <unable to find /dev/modem>.

To my surprise it appears that /dev/ttyLT0 has disappeared
while the symbolic link from /dev/modem remains.
Since wvdial.conf contains the line
modem = /dev/modem
this would appear to be the problem.

Problem appears to be that SuSEconfig DELETES /dev/ttyLT0

Hope somebody can help!

  • No further messages