Re: [SLE] Sorry SuSE: 9.1 is Waste of time and money!
  • From: Fred Miller <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 23:32:00 -0400
On Sunday May 30 2004 10:39 pm, BandiPat wrote:
> On Sunday 30 May 2004 10:27 pm, Fred Miller wrote:
> > On Sunday May 30 2004 7:16 pm, Jake wrote:
> > > Your English isn't bad at all and your meaning is (IMHO) quite
> > > right.
> >
> > I talked to someone the other day who'd I told NOT to buy some
> > odd-ball hardware. They did anyway, and 9.1 won't work with it. He
> > got mad, formated the drive and installed XP. It locks up tighter
> > than a crabs butt about every 30 mins. There's NOTHING perfect. Buy
> > ONLY good solid hardware that keeps to industry specs (example: NO
> > SIS chipsets!!) and most often you won't have any show stoppers.
> >
> > Fred
>
> =========
>
> Fred,
> One part of your statement I agree with and that is to get good
> hardware, it can make all the difference sometimes. PC hardware is
> still some of the oldest and worse designed stuff around. Everybody
> has their own standards, so few follow any rules in building things.

Intel publishes specs and some makers hold tightly to them and some don't.
It's one reason I use IBM Intelistations, just to mention 1.

> The no SIS chipsets though, you are way off base! Apparently you have
> had a bad incident with them some time ago and decided to dislike SiS,
> but you are wrong not to recommend them now. I have not ever had such
> good hardware with VIA or Intel as the SiS chipset boards I'm using &
> recommending now. They have been far & above better operating setups
> than any Intel or VIA I've installed Linux on, with fewer bugs too.
> I've had really good luck out of the AMD chipsets also and Linux.

SiS AND VIA are junk, IMHO. I won't buy either and reccomend to ALL to stay
clear of both. SiS is STILL junk.....end of story.

Fred

--
"The only secure Microsoft software is what's still
shrink-wrapped in their warehouse..." (Forno)