Re: [SLE] Sorry SuSE: 9.1 is Waste of time and money!
  • From: C Hamel <vgm2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 22:09:51 -0500
On Sunday 30 May 2004 21:39, BandiPat wrote:
> On Sunday 30 May 2004 10:27 pm, Fred Miller wrote:
> > On Sunday May 30 2004 7:16 pm, Jake wrote:
> > > Your English isn't bad at all and your meaning is (IMHO) quite
> > > right.
> >
> > I talked to someone the other day who'd I told NOT to buy some
> > odd-ball hardware. They did anyway, and 9.1 won't work with it. He
> > got mad, formated the drive and installed XP. It locks up tighter
> > than a crabs butt about every 30 mins. There's NOTHING perfect. Buy
> > ONLY good solid hardware that keeps to industry specs (example: NO
> > SIS chipsets!!) and most often you won't have any show stoppers.
> >
> > Fred
>
> =========
>
> Fred,
> One part of your statement I agree with and that is to get good
> hardware, it can make all the difference sometimes. PC hardware is
> still some of the oldest and worse designed stuff around. Everybody
> has their own standards, so few follow any rules in building things.
> The no SIS chipsets though, you are way off base! Apparently you have
> had a bad incident with them some time ago and decided to dislike SiS,
> but you are wrong not to recommend them now. I have not ever had such
> good hardware with VIA or Intel as the SiS chipset boards I'm using &
> recommending now. They have been far & above better operating setups
> than any Intel or VIA I've installed Linux on, with fewer bugs too.
> I've had really good luck out of the AMD chipsets also and Linux.
>
> Lee
> --
> --- KMail v1.6.2 --- SuSE Linux Pro v9.0 ---
> Registered Linux User #225206
> On any other day, that might seem strange...
Allow me to weigh in on this conversation! :-)

I can attest to the fact that AMD works really well. I used to have a Toshiba
notebook w/AMD k6-2 3D chip on it & that one really rocked w/Mandrake, SuSE,
Red Hat, et. al. This new HP box w/Intel 2.66+/- GB chip & etc., will not
Mandrake at all, and I have yet to try Red Hat.

SuSE is problematic but at least I got v9 to work, & 8.2 Personal, before
that. Version9.1 was more than problematic, it was horrendous. Out of three
modems --internal & two external-- none worked right, and quit working
altogether once I applied the first update. Reinstallation was a total waste
of time, as the first installation --pre-updates-- worked for exactly a week
& all four subsequent installations saw very little work that had worked on
the 1st installation. Hence, a landfill now owns it.

As far as I know, my hardware is not unique. I think that Mdk has six HP
notebooks listed for compatibility. I checked SuSE's site & was informed my
hdwe was compatible. One should be able to believe the list published by
SuSE. If one can't, SuSE is in really deep doo-doo.
--
...CH
SuSE 9 Works

< Previous Next >