Re: [SLE] Sorry SuSE: 9.1 is Waste of time and money!
  • From: Frederic Soulier <frederic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 17:07:21 +0100
On Sunday 30 May 2004 16:10, C Hamel wrote:
> On Sunday 30 May 2004 07:07, Jyry Kuukkanen wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > On Sun, 30 May 2004, adham hashibon wrote:
> > > I am not sure, but I think the blame for most of this stuff
> > > might lies in the subfs package, since I removed it, all is
> > > great for me... Someone is Suse should take this seriously and
> > > fix the subfs_/hotplug combination, it sucks to the bones..
> >
> > 9.1 is a disaster, it should never have been released. I already
> > had to switch to Mandrake 10.0.

You think SuSE 9.1 should never have been released. I could add to
this that Mandrake 10.0 should never have been released and FC2
should never have been released.
My take is its all due to the kernel 2.6.x being very new.
No wonder Slackware is sticking to kernel 2.4.x for their next
release.

In order to fix as many bugs in 2.6.x as possible the kernel must be
widely used and therefore packaged by the various distros so it gets
to the end user who becomes unwillingly(?) a tester ;)

> > Hardware recognition is utter crap in 9.1, but there is plenty of
> > it more. For example BT8xx is found ok, but the module is only
> > loaded with the help from keyboard.
> >
> > I have tried upgrades, install-overs, fresh installs, they all
> > causes more mess than enything else. Same or similar problems in
> > some four different hardware I tried installing it. I even tried
> > upgrading Suse 9.0 to 9.1 in a FuSi Primergy server with
> > Adaptec's RAID controller -- no, cannot be done because 9.1 does
> > not find the previos system, nor harddisk, even it loads the
> > Adaptecs drivers just fine...
> >
> > GCC cannot produce executables no longer after some YOU update...
> >
> > Another issue is locale troubles, that was the final reason to
> > drop 9.1 for good. I cannot use Konsole, nor console, because
> > non-US characters f*cks up the screen. Very unpleasant when
> > handling tens of eMail using pine every day. No matter what font
> > is used.
> >
> > There are definitely way too many problems in 9.1 for me to try
> > using it. There is no way, I believe, all the faults in it can be
> > fixed before 9.2 is out. So, until that, I stick with Mandrake
> > that installs, speaks my language and lets me write using funny
> > but ¡important! characters for me. Ääliö distro on tuo Susi
> > üsiüks :-(
> >
> > Who ever finds 9.1 useful must be very lucky, or his needs are
> > limited to watching the boot screen ;-)

I'm sure all of us who are happy users of 9.1 will see the humor in
your comment ;)

> > --jq

> > --
> > Hienoja terveisiä
> > --Jyry
> > C|:-( C|:-/ C|========8-O C|8-/ C|:-(
>
> Like I wrote a couple people privately: SuSE Sux <G>

I was a happy Mandrake user until 10.0 came out and I moved to SuSE
9.1 so it's really a case of what works for many doesn't for some and
the other way around.
Having said that distros are pretty inconsistent from one release to
the other.

Now where's my piggy bank so that I can get an Apple dual G5 :)
(note: I'm sure OS X has its share of fuck ups as well)

Frederic P. Soulier frederic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
OpenPGP key available on http://www.keyserver.net
1024D/BA6700ED 49A6 8E8E 4230 8D41 1ADE B649 3203 1DD2 BA67 00ED