Re: [SLE] Sorry SuSE: 9.1 is Waste of time and money!
  • From: Sid Boyce <sboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 14:04:10 +0100
Andre Truter wrote:

On Sun, 2004-05-30 at 14:07, Jyry Kuukkanen wrote:

Who ever finds 9.1 useful must be very lucky, or his needs are limited to watching the boot screen ;-)

Well, I know of a few people here that are very happy with SuSE 9.1. I
have it running on two machines and I have had no problems at all. It
runs smooth and detects my hardware without any problems.

The other people around here that have installed SuSE 9.1 are also very
happy and impressed with it.

The only problem that I know of is one guy who cannot get hyperthreading
to work.

Maybe it is our climate... :-)

--
Andre Truter Software Engineer Registered Linux user #185282
ICQ #40935899 AIM: trusoftzaf http://www.trusoft.co.za

It has its quirks and at times doesn't seem to be a finished product, but in general it works, even on some not so mainstream hardware. I often wonder when seeing some problems reported just what I'd see if I installed it on the same hardware people have had complaints with - some seemingly I'd expect no trouble with compared to the hardware I have. Typically, one of the first things I do is to install the latest kernel.org kernel. I've not seen any show stoppers with 9.1, x86 installed on a A7N8X-E, FX5200 with nvidia driver, on an old Fuji Lifebook P-II 333 and x86_64 installed on an Acer Aspire 1501LCE laptop with some not so standard hardware.
The only problems I have are with building some apps on x86_64, a slight nuisance, but expected to see improvements as x86_64 gets more popular. On x86 hardinfo works on the laptop, on this tower, it starts, but I get no display.
Regards
Sid.

--
Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and keen Flyer
Linux Only Shop.

< Previous Next >