Re: [SLE] Migrating from Mandrake to Suse
  • From: Mark Gray <markgray-temp-1083765299@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 30 May 2004 06:03:10 -0400
Martin Farmilo <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> One thing to bear in mind is that Suse appears to start User IDs
> from 500 whereas Mandrake starts from 501.

SuSE-9.1 now starts them at 1000 by default, although you probably
have the option of starting them at any number (including 501). I say
this because I did an upgrade instead of a clean install on two
machines and it left the User IDs the same (500), so there is no
problem (yet!) with using id's from 500-999 for users.

> So if you use the installation wizard to create the same users you
> have on Mandrake, bear that in mind otherwise they'll be assigned
> different IDs from the ones Mandrake uses. Obviously an issue if you
> intend sharing the /home area between Mandrake & Suse.

[snip]

< Previous Next >