Re: [SLE] Migrating from Mandrake to Suse
  • From: Martin Farmilo <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 09:28:04 +0100

One thing to bear in mind is that Suse appears to start User IDs from 500
whereas Mandrake starts from 501. So if you use the installation wizard to
create the same users you have on Mandrake, bear that in mind otherwise
they'll be assigned different IDs from the ones Mandrake uses. Obviously an
issue if you intend sharing the /home area between Mandrake & Suse.

Martin Farmilo

On Friday 28 May 2004 21:14, Juergen Harms - Desktop wrote:
> I am preparing to migrate from Mandrake to Suse. Initially, I intend to
> run Suse on a small partition in parallel to "production" Mandrake and a
> w2k partition, using lilo dual boot.
>
> That works fine between different versions of Mandrake if I create
> corresponding entries in /etc/lilo.conf and putting symbolic links
> between the partitions in /boot (/boot/vmlinuz and /boot/initrd.img). I
> guess for Suse something similar will be possible, so that I can switch
> between Mandrake and Suse partitions at boot.
>
> A simple secondary consideration: preparing this "action" I tried to
> have a look at the Suse Linux mailing list, but had problems to do
> intelligent searches. I ended up using Goggle "Advanced Search" with
> "Suse Linux English Discussion" for "exact phrase" in addition to the
> search topic.
>
> Questions:
>
> - Does anybody have positive/negative experience with this kind of
> dual boot between Linux flavours?
>
> - Is there a more straightforward to search method for Suse lists than
> the round-about Advanced Google Search?

< Previous Next >