Re: [SLE] export DISPLAY and xhost +
  • From: Mark Gray <markgray-temp-1083765299@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 30 May 2004 02:25:20 -0400
Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Saturday 29 May 2004 18.29, Mark Gray wrote:
>> That explains that -- I did not look closely enough at SuSEconfig.xdm
>> to see the bug, and just assumed that it was intentional. In any case
>> doing things the SuSE way by editing /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager (or
>> using yast) is almost always better than directly editing the config
>> files themselves. (A painful lesson I have learned time and again :-)

> The automated tools differ from distro to distro. The underlying config files
> are almost always identical. That's all the reason I need to stay on the
> lower level. I'd rather not submit myself to voluntary vendor lockin by only
> learning a single vendor's way of doing things.

> If you know how it's really done, doing it the suse way is a piece of cake.
> The reverse is very far from true

I came to SuSE after years of using slackware and redhat and found
that directly editing the lower level files like I was used to doing
was asking for trouble, or at least reduced functionality (slackware
and redhat's automated tools were simplistic at the time compared to
yast, and more trouble than they were worth). Unless you keep SuSE's
files in sync with the lower level files you are throwing a spanner
into their update and upgrade procedure. If their scripts leave your
modifications to the lower level files alone (as they are supposed
to:-), then you are missing out on any modification to the SuSE way of
doing things. This is why I always do a clean install instead of an
update on at least some of my machines. SuSE continues to evolve, and
the thoroughness of their knowledge of the configuration possibilities
for the software is inspiring. I do not have the time to reread all
the underlying manuals cover to cover every six months like one needs
to do if one is to take advantage of all the bells and whistles that
have been added to each and every open source package. My tastes
often conflict violently with SuSE's, and it usually takes me week or
two to modify my installation to a "usable" state, but I always learn
something new in the process, and usually will find SuSE features
which I will "adapt, adopt, and improve".

< Previous Next >