SuSE 9.1 DNS wierdness
  • From: David Bottrill <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 01:08:28 +0100
I have a small network at home where I have a dns server running bind 9 on
SuSE 8.2

With SuSE 9.0 clients the dns server would resolve local (.local) IP addresses
correctly.

With SuSE 9.1 it will not resolve addresses for my local network (.local) i.e.
if I ping the server uno.local (my server)I get unknown host, yet if I ping
something like www.bbc.co.uk the IP address is resolved correctly, my dns
server is configured to forward to my ISPs DNS servers for other than
the .local domain for which it is authoritative. I also have a windows 2000
PC and a Mac on the network and both resolve .local addresses correctly from
my dns server.

If I use "host" or "nslookup" name resolution works correctly.

My nsswitch is set to

hosts: files dns

resolv.conf points to my dns server correctly.

If I run tcpdump on my 9.1 PC I see the dns request being passed to the dns
server and the resolved address being passed back.

I have 3 PCs installed with SuSE 9.1 and all exhibit the same problem. I have
also installed SuSE 9.1 at work where we are using microshaft dns servers and
resolution also works correctly.

Any ideas ?

--
David Bottrill