Re: [SLE] Installing from Secondary CD-ROM
  • From: "Mark A. Taff" <marktaff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 14:04:20 -0700
On Saturday 29 May 2004 11:50 am, Lucky Leavell wrote:
> OS: SuSE 9.1
>
> I am currently installing from a combo DVD-DOM/CD-ROM drive (/dev/hdb) as
> that is the only one I can get to boot from CD. The secondary CD-ROM
> (/dev/hdd) is recognized by the BIOS but for whatever reason will not boot
> from either CD. (I switched the IDE cables when attempting to boot from
> the CD-ROM, making it primary slave for a while to no avail.)
>
> Problem: The DVD drive apparently needs cleaning and I do not have a drive
> cleaning kit here. It has popped up the dialog stating it cannot find some
> packages. Occasionally a retry works but I usually have to Ignore the
> package to continue.
>
> Question: Once the install completes, assuming it is even useable, is
> there some yay to make YaST install the missing stuff from the secondary
> CD-ROM?
>
> Alternatively, it there any way I can boot from diskette and thence from
> the secondary CD-ROM drive? (I tried booting from CD2 in the primary
> (DVD/CD) drive but it failed trying to read the floppy drive for some
> reason.)
>
> (I'll fetch the drive cleaner tomorrow but, hopefully, will already be
> done.)
>
> Thank you,
> Lucky Leavell

Perform the install as normal, ignoring (for now) any missing packages. After
the install in complete, start the install again, but chose "repair" as the
install mode. Repair will test everything, including missing packages, and
fix as required. I have had to use it many times before.

Part of the problem with the media not found/package not found on medium
errors is due to faulty hardware and/or faulty burned cds/dvds.

You can boot from floppies, but it takes 2-6 floppies to do so, and I'm not
sure it's worth the hassle. I did it once, and will bend over backwards to
not have to do it again. :-)

Regards,

Mark