Re: [SLE] export DISPLAY and xhost +
  • From: Mark Gray <markgray-temp-1083765299@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 29 May 2004 12:29:52 -0400
Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Saturday 29 May 2004 09.40, Mark Gray wrote:
>> Exactly -- (Perhaps I chose the wrong email in the thread to provide
>> the information for others like myself who can not spare the machine
>> cycles to use ssh -X, but since the poster I responded to was under
>> the impression that changing the kdm config file was sufficient to
>> allow tcp connections, his email seemed like the right one to reply
>> to.)

> The only reason it is not sufficient is a bug in SuSEconfig.xdm. It is
> supposed to check for user changes, and if it finds any, not modify the file.
> However, in that script there is a bug that nullifies that.
>
> In all other cases, editing the config file is enough to make it stick, and it
> will be here too, once suse fix the bug

That explains that -- I did not look closely enough at SuSEconfig.xdm
to see the bug, and just assumed that it was intentional. In any case
doing things the SuSE way by editing /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager (or
using yast) is almost always better than directly editing the config
files themselves. (A painful lesson I have learned time and again :-)