Re: [SLE] Making an application shortcut in KDE
  • From: "Mark A. Taff" <marktaff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 22:03:13 -0700
On Friday 28 May 2004 08:57 pm, Matthew wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 20:47, Mark A. Taff wrote:
> > On Friday 28 May 2004 08:30 pm, Matthew wrote:
> > > Why is it always such a pain to do in KDE?
> > >
> > > Program resides in its own folder, cannot be launched by a single
> > > command, usually have to find it and './program' how does one invoke
> > > this in KDE again? Link to application does not work too well, browse
> > > to it select it and nothing happens.
> > >
> > > Know there is a way, but forgotten it (and why is it not more simple?).
> > >
> > > Matt
> >
> > It works fine for me.
> >
> > What version of SuSE Linux? What KDE version? What exactly is it
> > doing/not doing? Is your application executable (file permissions)? Can
> > you run it from a console? Or from quick command (alt +f2)?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Mark
>
> 9.1, kde 3.2, yes can be run via terminal...Just cannot point to the
> application and have it run, its not a system-wide command.
>
> Matt

My guess is the application is not in a folder that is in your path (`echo
$PATH` in a console), and you are only specifying the name of the application
instead of the full path. Try specifying the full path.

You may edit the desktop icon directly by
opening /home/$USER/Desktop/$apppname.desktop in kwrite or kate

Here is a sample of what it should look like:

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=Reboot directly into another OS
Comment[en_US]=Reboot directly into another OS
Encoding=UTF-8
Exec='/home/mark/docs/scripts/nextboot/nextboot'
GenericName=GRUB Nextboot
GenericName[en_US]=GRUB Nextboot
Icon=exit
MimeType=
Name=nextboot
Name[en_US]=nextboot
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-DCOP-ServiceType=
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

Note the line "Exec="

Nextboot is a script I wrote (available from kde-apps.org). It is not in my
path, so I have to specify the full path to the executable.

Regards,

Mark

< Previous Next >