A Wonderful Read on the History of Unix for the Folks who Know about it
  • From: David Johanson <dcjohan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 19:34:29 -0400
Man AdTI Hired to Compare Minix/Linux Found No Copied Code
Thursday, May 27 2004 @ 05:01 PM EDT
http://www.groklaw.net

'Andrew Tanenbaum has published the most remarkable email from the man hired by Ken Brown to do a line-by-line comparison of Minix and Linux, Alexey Toptygin, who summarizes his findings and posts them on the Internet:

"Around the middle of April, I was contacted by a friend of mine who asked me if I wanted to do some code analysis on a consultancy basis for his boss, Ken Brown. I ended up doing about 10 hours of work, comparing early versions of Linux and Minix, looking for copied code.

My results are here. To summarize, my analysis found no evidence whatsoever that any code was copied one way or the other."

When he turned in his work, he had a conversation with Brown:

"Apparently, Ken was expecting me to find gobs of copied source code. He spent most of the conversation trying to convince me that I must have made a mistake, since it was clearly impossible for one person to write an OS and 'code theft' had to have occured. So, I guess what I want to say is, pay no attention to this man. . . "

and from Andy's page

Andy Tanenbaum, 20 May 2004 Speaks out!

"The history of UNIX and its various children and grandchildren has been in the news recently as a result of a book from the Alexis de Tocqueville Institution. Since I was involved in part of this history, I feel I have an obligation to set the record straight and correct some extremely serious errors. But first some background information."

http://www.cs.vu.nl/%7East/brown/
--
David C. Johanson
Linux Counter # 116410