Re: [SLE] 9.1 Personal and lack of Gnome
  • From: jonlists <jonlists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 16:00:27 -0500
Brooks <brooksfamily@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 05/28/2004 07:31:16 AM:
[snip stuff]

> > Indeed, it comes with the "live cd", but I think that is nice. If you
> > are really enthousiastic, you can borrow it to family and friends to
> > check it out.
>
> I think this is something of a waste. If I want family and friends to
see,
> they can come over and look at my desktop. I'd rather have the extra
> software for use on the second cd than what really amounts to a
marketing
> tool.

Actually, it's more than just a marketing tool. It's also a useful
discovery tool, when your friends' Windows systems, crash, and they wish
to recover data, you'll probably be able to insert that LiveCD and burn
their existing data directly to CD for them without having to beat
yourself up about re-installing Windows.

It is more than just a marketing tool. Did I say that already? <G>

[snip]
> Probably yes, for those who know how to compile packages and install
things
> without rpms and YaST (or red carpet, or apt). I'm not one of
thosepeople:
> my skill and technical knowledge is not that high, and so, for me, no I
can't
> do that with Gnome.

I'll give a difference perspective on this. I blew away 9.0 Pro and put
9.1 Personal on my son's computer. He was not impressed with the number of
games that was included in Personal. He wants the Pro version.

I wouldn't recommend the personal version either, EXCEPT in cases where
people want the basic, minimum stuff. The KDE/Gnome stuff is moot. If
someone wants to use a computer for basic stuff, I don't really think
they're going to go ga-ga over one Windows manager or the other.

Jon Johnston
Creative Business Solutions
IBM, Lotus, Microsoft Consultants
http://www.cbsol.com