Re: [SLE] Script to SCP files
  • From: Dave Smith <Dave.Smith@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 13:34:42 +0100
On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 07:27:02AM -0500, Hemond, Steve wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I need to migrate stuff from an Aix server to a SuSE Linux server and
> I will do this by copying the files using SCP. It works very well, as
> long as I am there to type the password!
>
> I would like to put many scp commands (one for each filesystem i need
> to copy) in a script but actually it won't work because I have to type
> the password for every scp command.
>
> Is there any way I can avoid the password prompt or maybe include it
> in the script?

You need to generate an SSH key on the machine which is initiating the scp
command, and place it in your ~/.ssh area on the target machine.

'man ssh' for more details

> Or is there any better way to copy stuff like that?

This is a perfectly valid way of doing it, but you might like to look at
'rsync'.

HTH...

--
David Smith Work Email: Dave.Smith@xxxxxx