Re: [SLE] What is IEC958
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 21:37:54 -0800
On Thursday 27 May 2004 05:52, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> On Thursday 27 May 2004 00:06, John Andersen wrote:
> > On Wednesday 26 May 2004 06:10, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> > > Had some noise on my loudspeakers in the background from what I
> > > thought must be the electronics doing their work in the computer.
> > > Did a setup with Alsaconf but no improvement. And I cannot find
> > > out how alsamixergui and gamix should function so I went back to
> > > kmix. Playing around in functions that I could recognize I came
> > > at the advanced settings with a hole bunch of things I do not
> > > know what they should do. I decided to just kill everything that
> > > I think I do not need and to my surprise after killing IEC958 the
> > > background noise is gone. What did I kill?
> >
> > Google (which you might try some time) says:
> >
> > http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/word.php?find=IEC958Part-4
> > and
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg124
> >31.html
>
> Could have been written in something outlandish. Did not understand a
> thing. ;-). Do not think it will damage my system.

It is an input to certain high end sound cards that support
optical (fiber optic) sound feed from such things as DVD players
etc. Turning it off certainly won't hurt a thing. Its one of those things
that if you were useing it you would know all about it, but virtually
no one is useing it.

--
John Andersen