Re: [SLE] Back order/question
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 21:12:37 -0800
On Thursday 27 May 2004 09:04, Henry Standing wrote:
> Either 802.11b or 802.11g Wi-Fi. b=11mbps (equivalent to 10mb wired) and
>
> > g=54mbps (half of 100mb wired).
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that the
> protocols eat into this transfer speed, and the connection is half-
> duplex, so actual transfers will usually be at c. 3mbps for 802.11b and
> c.17mbps for 802.11g.  Perfectly adequate for surfing and transfering
> small amounts of data, but as SRGlasoe points out not so great for
> (backups, pictures, mp3s, etc).

Most people can't afford an internet connection fast enough to max out
an 802.11G card, but if you can, I'm jelouse ;-)

Running the various bandwidth tests on my laptop with a G card and comparing
that to my 100mge built in nic, the speed is the same.

> You could increase this marginally by not using WEP and instead only
> allowing access by a MAC address - a bit of a security risk, but as long
> as you don't work for MI5....

I wonder if there is any noticable difference turning off wep. Is this
encryption done in the nic or the software. If done in software by
your main processor i would be willing to bet the difference is
not measurable in the real world.

There is always Dual Band 802.11G - 108meg, of which you can
often get 75 to 80.

--
John Andersen

< Previous Next >