Re: [SLE] Software recommendation for webcam captures
  • From: Bryan Tyson <bryantyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 21:12:48 -0400
On Thursday 27 May 2004 13:49, Daniel Purdy wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone could help me out by recommending a
> good program to take a picture with a web cam.

Camstream!

http://www.smcc.demon.nl/camstream/

This has always been my favorite webcam app for Linux IF it works. I've
had mixed results with the tarballs from there. Sometimes they won't
even compile. Sometimes they do, but some features don't work. I got
tired of the problems and stopped using it.

Then I found a SuSE rpm on Packman that works great on 9.1:

http://packman.links2linux.org/?action=328

Of course you can always use the old standby, webcam, which really is
quite decent except you don't have a nice window to view the cam while
it is doing the captures. Webcam should be included in xawtv. I know in
Mandrake they have some kind of xawtv "extras" package that includes
webcam, but I believe in SuSE if you install xawtv you automatically
have webcam.

My cams on this page are running on webcam:

http://home.earthlink.net/~bryantyson/techoffc.htm

Bryan