Re: [SLE] 9.1 Personal and lack of Gnome
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 16:49:36 -0400
On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 12:45, Brooks wrote:
> On Thursday 27 May 2004 10:37, Togan Muftuoglu wrote:
> > I do not think when you buy Windows XP Home edition, it comes with all
> > the additional stuff as well. You will also need to install additional
> > libraries, programs etc. to have the functionality you have in your
> > mind.
>

> Yes, but Windows is easy to update and has the added advantage of everything
> being written for it and made to install easily. Linux has not quite
> achieved that yet. That's the difference. But this is not meant to be a
> linux/windows comparison thread. I only brought up Windows because that's
> what SuSE is marketing KDE as a comparison to on its website.

As someone who is responsible for Win98se ME and XP-Pro systems, I can
tell you that I find my Linux boxes easier to update, and keep in tune.
You are right about the amount of stuff written for Windows, I keep
asking the Intuit folks when I'm going to be able to ditch ME and run
their software natively on Linux. I'm sure that it will take a number
of folks asking that question before they think about it.

Mike