Re: [SLE] 9.1 and lack of Gnome
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 01:39:37 +0200 (CEST)

The Tuesday 2004-05-25 at 23:40 +0100, Jake wrote:

> SUSE can't really be blamed for aiming 9.1 personal at newbies.
> They have to try and grow the market.

One of the things that fascinated me as a newby was the number of desktops
I could choose from, an not only gnome or kde - around Suse 5.2. That is,
"choice" is one of the strongs points of linux, and limiting a distro
(even a "personal") to only gnome, or only kde, doesn't seem good, IMO.

That said, I never bought the personal version, because I always felt it
was too limited.

> Seems the messages here from people suprised at not being able to compile
> stuff, not finding Gnome .. etc are understandable too in a way.

People are surprised because the personal version is probably not clearly
labeled, as to what it has and what not, in the box itself, before
the buyer opens it.

> I still think we run the best distro.

Yes. But we want even better :-)

--