Re: [SLE] 9.1 and no sound
  • From: "Ed Harrison" <eharrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 17:08:58 -0400
** Reply to message from David Chapman <dokterdave@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on Wed, 26 May
2004 14:41:58 +0100

> PCM was the culprit. Turned that down to about 60% and the screaming stopped.
> Thank you

Maybe.

I have an Ensoniq1371 that alsa.conf configured PCM to use a device called
IEC958 1.

I could open alsamixer or alsamixergui and disable this device and the racket
would stop.

Every time I started KDE, it would start up again.

In KDE I went into Control Center>>Sound & Multimedia>>Sound System on the
Hardware Tab.

It was set to AutoDetect for the device. I changed this to ALSA. Disabled
(muted) IEC958 1 one more time and the problem has never recurred.

  • No further messages