Re: [SLE] PVR cards
  • From: James Oakley <joakley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 10:43:05 -0300

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 7:17 pm, Damon Register wrote:
> James Oakley wrote:
> > The Hauppauge PVR 250/350 cards work fine. I'm using a 350 in a 9.0 box
>
> when I first looked at PVR cards 1.5 years ago, I thought the
> Hauppauge 250 was a great card because it did its own hardware
> compression so it didn't require such a fast computer. I had been
> borrowing a friends ATI Radeon 7500 All-In-Wonder card. When I
> got the Hauppauge, I was really disgusted. The picture quality
> of a video CD file recorded with the Hauppauge was noticeably
> inferior to the same format recorded with the ATI product. It has
> been a while since I did that test but I think the DVD format was
> also much better with the ATI card.

Something was seriously screwed up in your setup. The MPEG generated by my
PVR-350 is indistinguishable from broadcast. I did mess with the settings to
change the stream type and increase the bitrate, though.

I also have a Bt878 card, which is what you have in your AIW. The quality is
terrible, comparably.

I think you may have been using the wrong software.

- --
James Oakley
Engineering - SolutionInc Ltd.
joakley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx