Re: [SLE] 9.1 Personal and Gnome
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 21:59:26 +0200
On Tuesday 25 May 2004 21.52, Brooks wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 May 2004 14:40, Peter Thill wrote:
> > Go over Menu -> Sessions (Don't know if it's named Sessions) -> Gnome
>
> I appreciate the help, but I don't have any place to choose a different
> window manager when I log in or out. Nothing. The only thing I can do is
> enter my username and password. I have no options, field, or menu to
> choose gnome, kde, or anything else.
>
> I'm sorry if I come off as rude, I'm just frustrated. I do appreciate the
> help.

Then you're running xdm, not kdm or gdm.

Log in and run "rpm -q kdebase3-kdm" or "rpm -q gdm" to see if kdm or gdm are
even installed.

When you're sure it's installed, start yast, go to System->/etc/sysconfig
editor->Desktop->Display manager->DISPLAYMANAGER and set it for kdm or gdm.
Then log out and either switch to a text console, log in as root and run
"rcxdm stop" and "rcxdm start" or reboot the machine