RE: [SLE] Antivir & Clamav-Amavis
  • From: "Damon Jebb" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 16:19:23 +0100
Hangga wrote on 25 May 2004 07:58
> I use antivir and avmailgate for commandline virus scanner
> and smtp virus protection on Suse 9.0. Is that possible if I
> install amavisd-new and clamav together (with
> antivir-avmailgate) in one os? in windows, we cannot install
> 2 antivirus application.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You have to qualify the statement about Windows AV products. There is
no reason why you should not have more than one antivirus product
installed. The problems arise when you install and activate more than
one 'on-access scanner'. Each scanner will try to prevent access to a
file by any other process until it has scanned at and confirmed it is
uninfected. This leads potentially to lock up on *all* file accesses
with each scanner denying the other access to system files during boot
up. The same could be true in any operating system where you install an
on-access scanner.

Given the above, provided that you do not install and activate an
on-access scanner with more than one of the products there is absolutely
no reason why you shouldn't install as many AV products as you wish.
Indeed, there are people who are paranoid about viruses that would
insist on scanning a file with as many different scanners as possible,
just on the off-chance that their favourite one has a bad definition
file this time round.

Damon