Re: [SLE] SCSI scanners (more)
  • From: David Johanson <dcjohan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 20:35:56 -0400

Doug McGarrett wrote:
I followed the directions from Frits Wuetrich (2004-05-18 09:20)
and the system knows I have a UMax scsi scanner, which it installed
at the SuSE 9.1 installation. sgcheck sees the scanner. I changed the
permissions to 777 as per Frits. sane-find-scanner finds the
scanner and identifies it.
Output:

found SCSI scanner "UMAX Astra 2200 V2.2" at /dev/sg1
# Your SCSI scanner was detected. It may or may not be supported by SANE. Try
# scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

:end output

scanimage -L says that no scanners
were detected.
Where do I go from here? The scanner works in MS Windows, BTW.

Thanx, guys and gals--

doug

Hi Doug -

dave here. first, your scanner IS supported as it is the same one i run here at home. i'm positive we can get it up and running tomorrow evening but tonight i'm just too tired to tackle it. ;-)

spent the entire day fighting with a windows box trying to get a nikon LS 5000 ED scanner working. short of it is that i had to eventually do a complete re-install of 2000 and then fix all the associated problems, but it's up and running as well as my LS-20 and H-P 4P which the 5000 managed to totally corrupt. So, please bear with me and we should have you running tomorrow evening. mid you, my experience with this scanner has been on this SuSE 7.1 box, but i see no reason why we can't fix your problem.

in the interim, please read my original message to Frits as i think it may contain the info you need if you are in a hurry. ;-) i can't tell for sure but just from this single email it ;ools like you've left off a step or two.

regards,

dave

--
David C. Johanson