Re: [SLE] SMTP and incomming mail -- PROBLEMS??
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 12:47:41 +0200 (CEST)

(For some reason this message of yours hasn't made to the list :-? )

El 2004-05-22 a las 20:53 -0500, John N. Alegre escribió:

> Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 20:53:12 -0500 (CDT)
> From: John N. Alegre
> To: Carlos E. R.
> Cc: suse-linux-e
>
> Carlos,
>
> On 23-May-04 Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > Notice that for email (SMTP) to work, the DNS server (the one used by the
> > "senders" side) must have a "MX" entry form your domaain name. Your
> > "hosts" file is not involved.
> >
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> This is the case. Right now I have a Red Hat 6.0 box which is accepting this
> and all email with the same machinename.domainname that I am trying to get
> working on the SuSE box. I bring that machine down when I am trying to
> configure the new SuSE box and back up again in a few hours. Mail is flowing
> fine to that system. My IP provider has a "MX" entry for
> machinename.domainname with the correct IP. As I said both the SuSE box and
> the working Red Hat 6.0 system are the same in that respect. This is why I
> questioned the former statement that I needed a FQDN in my HOSTNAME and
> /etc/hosts file unless there is something different about SuSE.

Then it is not a dns problem, and it shouldn't be a hosts file either.

> I am currently thinking this is an entry of the domain name in some postfix
> config file. That is assuming the port is set up correctly (see original
> question in thread). Can anyone help me here?

Instead of:

>libros:~ # telnet localhost 25
>Trying 127.0.0.1...
>Connected to localhost.
>Escape character is '^]'.
>220 libros.andante.mn.org ESMTP Postfix

Try to do it giving the same domain name you use for email - then it
should try to connect using the eth0 ip address instead of the 127... one.
Even better, try from some other machine.

You should have a look at these entries in "/etc/sysconfig/postfix"

## Type: string
## Default: ""
#
# Comma separated list of host-/domainnames for which postfix
# should accept mail for.
# localhost and the own hostname is appended automatically
#
POSTFIX_LOCALDOMAINS=""

and then run suseconfig.

There is also a setting you can use for increased verbosity when debuging:

POSTFIX_ADD_debug_peer_list="someserver.somedomain"

where that "someserver" would be the one email is coming from.

--
Saludos
Carlos Robinson