Re: [SLE] submountd continuously accessing usb floppy -- or how do floppies work???
  • From: Marshall Heartley <marshall.heartley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 06:08:29 -0400
<snip>

> Well, I didn't think I had *any* instances of Konqueror running.
> But one thing I did do was to configure the desktop to show device
> icons. Apparently that really confuses matters! I got rid of all
> the weird mounts by turning off the device icons and things seem
> better.

I will have to keep that in mind. I have not done that yet but like I
stated before, I had issues with submount when KDE preloaded an
instance of Konqueror at startup.

> Apparently with subfs "mounting" is a transient thing -- it least
> the mount command (no options) never seems to list the floppies as
> mounted even though I can read and write them.

Correct

> If I write to a floppy in one drive then move it to the other drive
> the data I wrote shows up so I guess things are working mostly OK.
> I say "Mostly" because there are still some weird things happening,
> like sometimes a floppy is claimed to be read-only, or one file out
> of several refuses to copy (with a strange message about it being
> ignored since it had changed).

I am not sure about the read only issue. I will need to do a bit more
research on that one. Now the copy files message intrigues me. I
wonder why it is stating that?

> My problems started because of several things:
>
> 1. I turned on "device icons" on the desktop. This apparently
> causes the removable media to look like it is *always* being
> referenced, causing various strange behaviors that confused me.

I will note your experiences with this option so I will not do the
same myself. This may help answer why Gnome locks down tight when I
try and access my data disk.

> 2. I was under the misconception that I couldn't remove a floppy
> until I unmounted it. Which, as a regular user, I was not allowed
> to do.

Submount will "mount" the drives under it's control. All you have to
do is wait and the drive will umount on it's own. Basically after
you cd out of the drives mount directory, submount will see that you
are no longer interested in the drive and will "unmount" the drive so
you can eject the media.

> 3. In an attempt to deal with the above I dug myself deeper.

We all do that from time to time. :)

> BOTTOM LINE: I think things are "fixed" but there are still a few
> strange things I'm seeing.

Maybe one of the weird behaviors is answered above. At least the
mount one anyway. I am not sure on the others though as I am still
learning more abut submount myself ;)

Marshall