Re: [SLE] submountd continuously accessing usb floppy -- or how do floppies work???
  • From: Marshall Heartley <marshall.heartley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 17:12:21 -0400

> Well, things have gone from bad to worse! I removed one floppy,
> inserted another, clicked on its icon and got three pop-up messages
> from "SuSE Hardware Detection" saying:
>
> A new hard disc was detected
> Open with: kfmclient openURL
> file:/media/usb-storage-odd-YEDATA-USBFloppyDrive:0:0:0p1 ?
>
> The mount command now shows:
>
> /dev/fd0 on /media/floppy type subfs
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,sync,fs=floppyfss,procuid) /dev/sdb on
> /media/floppy1 type subfs
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,sync,fs=floppyfss,procuid) usbfs on /proc/bus/usb
> type usbfs (rw)
> /dev/sdb1 on /media/usb-storage-odd-YEDATA-USBFloppyDrive:0:0:0p1
> type subfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,fs=floppyfss,procuid)
> /dev/sdb2 on /media/usb-storage-odd-YEDATA-USBFloppyDrive:0:0:0p2
> type subfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,fs=floppyfss,procuid)
> /dev/sdb4 on /media/usb-storage-odd-YEDATA-USBFloppyDrive:0:0:0p4
> type subfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,fs=floppyfss,procuid)
> /dev/sdb3 on /media/usb-storage-odd-YEDATA-USBFloppyDrive:0:0:0p3
> type subfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,fs=floppyfss,procuid)

Hmmmm this is not good!

> And I can't unmount any of it as a regular user!

I have a idea here but it might not be the correct answer.

> Per the fuser command I am not referencing /media/floppy or
> /media/floppy1 anywhere so, if I understand the submount man page,
> the submount system should have unmounted things automatically.

Look and see if Konqueror has more than one window open. If so, get
rid of all instances of Konqueror and try to access the floppies
again. This time, you may be able to umount them as user.

If for some miracle works, then tell KDE not to start up a instance of
Konqueror at startup.

> If this subfs stuff is supposed to make things easier, it has a
> long way to go to do so for me!

Well I am learning as well. Let us keep plugging away at it.

Marshall