Re: [SLE] submountd continuously accessing usb floppy -- or how do floppies work???
  • From: Robert Paulsen <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 16:03:26 -0500
On Sunday 23 May 2004 03:41 pm, Robert Paulsen wrote:
> On Sunday 23 May 2004 02:05 pm, Marshall Heartley wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > > Perhaps this is my fault: I changed fstab to look like this
> > > (I added "user"):
> > >
> > > /dev/sdb /media/floppy1 subfs
> > > fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync,user 0 0
> >
> > You will need to remove the word user here. See the man page for
> > submount.
>
> OK, did that. (And rebooted just to be sure.)

Well, things have gone from bad to worse! I removed one floppy,
inserted another, clicked on its icon and got three pop-up messages
from "SuSE Hardware Detection" saying:

A new hard disc was detected
Open with: kfmclient openURL file:/media/usb-storage-odd-YEDATA-USBFloppyDrive:0:0:0p1 ?

The mount command now shows:

/dev/fd0 on /media/floppy type subfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,sync,fs=floppyfss,procuid)
/dev/sdb on /media/floppy1 type subfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,sync,fs=floppyfss,procuid)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/usb-storage-odd-YEDATA-USBFloppyDrive:0:0:0p1 type subfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,fs=floppyfss,procuid)
/dev/sdb2 on /media/usb-storage-odd-YEDATA-USBFloppyDrive:0:0:0p2 type subfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,fs=floppyfss,procuid)
/dev/sdb4 on /media/usb-storage-odd-YEDATA-USBFloppyDrive:0:0:0p4 type subfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,fs=floppyfss,procuid)
/dev/sdb3 on /media/usb-storage-odd-YEDATA-USBFloppyDrive:0:0:0p3 type subfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,fs=floppyfss,procuid)

And I can't unmount any of it as a regular user!

Per the fuser command I am not referencing /media/floppy or
/media/floppy1 anywhere so, if I understand the submount man page,
the submount system should have unmounted things automatically.

If this subfs stuff is supposed to make things easier, it has a long way
to go to do so for me!

--
Robert C. Paulsen, Jr.
robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx