Re: [SLE] Compiling a Vanilla Kernel
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 12:13:13 -0400
On Sunday 23 May 2004 12:02 pm, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Sunday 23 May 2004 17.50, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > 2) rm -r linux (removes sym link to current kernel source but does
> > not erase the main directory)
> >
> > 3) tar xjvf /ftparea/linux-2.6.6.tar.bz2 (extract the new kernel
> > source into /usr/src/
> >
> > 4) ln -s linux-2.6.6/ linux (make a new symlink)
>
> No no no. /usr/src/linux should be reserved for the kernel source/headers
> used to compile glibc, not for the kernel du jour (Linus Torvalds).
>
> You can put the kernel sources you're compiling anywhere, I put them in
> $HOME/src/

Put them where you want, but I disagree with your statements. The above
seems very standard to me and I've never had a problem with it. It would be
a minor nit in my view.

> > 5) cd linux
> >
> > 6) make mrproper
> >
> > Note: Make mrproper should be issued just once, immediately after you
> > load up the new source files. make mrproper will do some setup but it
> > WILL ALSO GIVE YOU A DEFAULT .config file.
>
> It does? Where? I can't see one

Ok... a misconception. It DELETES your .config which will give you a
default .config next time you to go make config changes. Same difference.

> > The .config file is your configuration
> > file. Since you are going to be making changes to the .config, you don't
> > want to lose those changes later on after spending a lot of time
> > configuring your kernel.
> >
> > 7) make xconfig (see notes below)
>
> 7.5) Edit the top-level makefile and set EXTRAVERSION to something
> identifiable, to distinguish this build attempt from others

If you want.

> > The above assumes you are running under KDE or some gui interface. If
> > not, use: make config or make menuconfig for text mode. (there
> > are other ways of setting up a .config) If you get an error about a
> > display not being available while running as root in a term console, go
> > back to being a normal user and issue 'xhost +' and then go back as root
> > and continue where you left off.
>
> Argh! You know better than that
>
> Use 'sux' or 'kdesu'

I knew I would get hit when I saw that. This is an old writeup which I
modified. Yes, 'sux' is what I use now.

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 05/23/04 12:08 +
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals
dying of nothing."