Re: [SLE] Compiling a Vanilla Kernel
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 18:02:05 +0200
On Sunday 23 May 2004 17.50, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> 2) rm -r linux (removes sym link to current kernel source but does not
> erase the main directory)
>
> 3) tar xjvf /ftparea/linux-2.6.6.tar.bz2 (extract the new kernel source
> into /usr/src/
>
> 4) ln -s linux-2.6.6/ linux (make a new symlink)

No no no. /usr/src/linux should be reserved for the kernel source/headers used
to compile glibc, not for the kernel du jour (Linus Torvalds).

You can put the kernel sources you're compiling anywhere, I put them in
$HOME/src/

> 5) cd linux
>
> 6) make mrproper
>
> Note: Make mrproper should be issued just once, immediately after you load
> up the new source files. make mrproper will do some setup but it WILL ALSO
> GIVE YOU A DEFAULT .config file.

It does? Where? I can't see one

> The .config file is your configuration
> file. Since you are going to be making changes to the .config, you don't
> want to lose those changes later on after spending a lot of time
> configuring your kernel.
>
> 7) make xconfig (see notes below)

7.5) Edit the top-level makefile and set EXTRAVERSION to something
identifiable, to distinguish this build attempt from others

> The above assumes you are running under KDE or some gui interface. If not,
> use: make config or make menuconfig for text mode. (there are
> other ways of setting up a .config) If you get an error about a display
> not being available while running as root in a term console, go back to
> being a normal user and issue 'xhost +' and then go back as root and
> continue where you left off.

Argh! You know better than that

Use 'sux' or 'kdesu'