Re: [SLE] Could Not Create Swap Partition
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 11:17:41 -0400
On Sun, 23 May 2004 07:19:45 -0700 (PDT)
cygnia@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > A Swap partition is good to have, but not entirely necessary. You
> > can also create a swap file on your system. The mkswap(8) man page
> > has instructions for doing this. In Linux, the swapon(8) command
> > turns on the spap space, and swapoff(8) turns it off. The swapon(8)
> > is performed on each swap space defined in /etc/fstab when you
> > transition to multi-user mode during bootup. But, you can issue
> > these commands manually.
>
> Thanks for the info. I also thought I'd look into the YAST module
> about partitioning, but it seems like a pretty important thing to do
> to the setup. I didn't want to mess with anything I'd regret later.
It is better to have a swap partition, but setting up a swap file is
easy to do. I would strongly recommend that every Linux system should
have at least one swap file, but with very large memory systems, it is
less important.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group