Re: [SLE] [SOLUTION] 9.1 and USB Wheel Mouse
  • From: "Ed Harrison" <eharrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 08:47:04 -0500
** Reply to message from Ed Harrison <eharrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on Fri, 21 May
2004 10:30:22 -0400

> I have a Logitech 2-button optical wheel mouse.
>
> 9.1 autodetects it as correct mouse, but the wheel does not work.
>
> I looked at /etc/X11/XF86Config, and tinkered with protocol, ZaxisMapping,
> buttons, etc., but I cannot get the wheel to function.
>
> Any ideas?

OTHER SYMPTOMS:
Changes to Monitor Resolution did not take effect.
VMWare warned that extmod (XFree86 DGA) was not enabled (it was in
/etc/X11/XF86Config).
DPMS was not working, even though / etc/X11/XF86Config had the options set for
DPMS, BlankTime, StandbyTime and SuspendTime.

After much delving into this problem, I found that YaST2 and I were fiddling
with the wrong X configuration file.

Maybe 9.1 uses the xorg version of X, or I did something to invoke this, but
the config file I needed was /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

I created it in text mode with xf86cfg.

When I finished tweaking this file, EVERYTHING works like it did before upgrade
to 9.1 from 9.0.

Ed Harrison
SuSE 9.1, Kernel 2.6.5-17.14-default
PolarBar Mailer 1.25a