NTFS partition resizing, was: SuSE 9.1 Success
  • From: Alex Angerhofer <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 07:50:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 22 May 2004, Clayton wrote:

> > I see your point here and I am so eager to install SuSE 9.1.
> > It's just that I can't ignore the messages I read. Especially
> > I am concerned with this issue about NTFS resizing described
> > in this review:
> >
> > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1585840,00.asp
>
> Personally... I wouldn't use the SUSE installer to resize an NTFS
> partition. I've had no problems with FAT32 partitions, but NTFS
> and Linux don't play well together. Do it the easy way... use
> native Windows tools to do it. You can use some of the tools
> provided with Win2k (not sure about XP) or use a 3rd party tool
> like Partition Magic. Saves you a lot of grief and trouble.
>
> C.

I agree completely. I always use Partition Magic to resize Winxx
partitions. Even then you are not immune as I learned the hard way once
when I didn't do a diskcheck before repartitioning. Partitionmagic will
stop the process when encountering bad blocks and you will end up with a
hung process. At that point you will hope to have done a backup...

Alex.