Re: [SLE] my second serial port has vanished ;-(
  • From: Constant Brouerius van Nidek <constant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 12:51:27 +0700
On Sunday 23 May 2004 10:09, BandiPat wrote:
> On Saturday 22 May 2004 03:42 pm, Marshall Heartley wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > > # cat /proc/interrupts

> > > 3: 5 XT-PIC NE2000 <------- Is this your
> > >NIC card?
Yes and in the software setup it was setup at irq 5. Got a new TV card
whichput itself on irq 5, shoving my NIC card to irq 3.

> > I noticed that a device is already using IRQ3. You will need to
> > assign it a new IRQ.
> > Looks to be a NIC card.
>
> [...]
>
> > Well the command shows that there is a UART available there.
> > This is good. I
> > suspect that your NIC has control over IRQ 3 though.
> >
> > Go into BIOS and see if you can assign another IRQ to the NIC or
> > the serial port.

The only irq where the software setup did not complain as being used
by something else was irq 15. Using that irq caused a lockup at boot.
I gave the TV card irq 9 in the BIOS and have now a working com port
again.
> > Other options are you can move the NIC card to another slot and
> > see if ttyS1 works after
> > the move.

Although my motherboard is outfitted with two ISA slots 4 PCI and one
AGP, space problems does not make that possible.

> ***********
>
> I'm curious about one thing. In your BIOS, do you have PNP OS=YES?
> If you do, then change that to NO and see if things clear up for
> you. In all of the Manuals, it specifies you set this option to
> NO, so the hardware will set the IRQs rather then let the OS do it,
> which usually causes conflicts. Another reason for taking time to
> read the great SuSE manuals included with each package.

There is no PNP OS YES/NO in my BIOS but I had not set the PCI cards a
specific irq which is more or less the same

> Stupid IRQs! 2004 and IRQs are still around and a pure PITA!

The question that arises, I remember vaguely that irq 9 is used to
connect to the irq from 10 and higher. Would the choice of irq 9 have
consequences? And I am still missing one or two com ports for the
things that I am planning to do. Aren't there USB to comports
adapters which could solve that problem? For the time being I can
proceed ;-). Everyone, thanks for your help.