Re: [SLE] Confusing Hardware Problem
  • From: David Johanson <dcjohan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 19:22:06 -0400

Ken Schneider wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: David Johanson <dcjohan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: SuSE Support Group <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 16:26:56 -0400
Subject: [SLE] Confusing Hardware Problem

I've just added a third removable SCSI drive to my mail box (this one
running SuSE 7.1). Prior to adding this drive I had one drive running win 98se
(which I've discussed prior) and the other SuSE 7.1 The box dual boots with
LILO running as the boot manager. With just the two drives turned on, LILO
runs as expected and I can boot into either OS. With the new drive turned on (I
just did a reformat on it and there is no OS installed, just a low level DOS
fdisk format) all goes well during boot until LILO starts and then elects to
stop at LI with the blinking cursor.

I'm totally lost as to how I can boot with this drive on so I can add
another OS to it. Would someone kindly point me to my obvious error. Since it's a
SCSI drive, it has to be on at boot up in order to been seen and thus used.

Don't want to point out the obvious here but have you double checked the
SCSI id's and also how old is the power supply, it may not be able to
handle the extra load.

Ken

New 300W power supply, but as I noted in another reply, the problems lies in the SCSI IDs which I failed to notice.

Thanks for your accurate appraisal. ;-)

dave

--
David C. Johanson