Re: [SLE] Confusing Hardware Problem
  • From: David Johanson <dcjohan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 19:19:52 -0400

Vince Littler wrote:
On Saturday 22 May 2004 9:26 pm, David Johanson wrote:

I've just added a third removable SCSI drive to my mail box (this one
running SuSE 7.1). Prior to adding this drive I had one drive running win
98se (which I've discussed prior) and the other SuSE 7.1 The box dual boots
with LILO running as the boot manager. With just the two drives turned on,
LILO runs as expected and I can boot into either OS. With the new drive
turned on (I just did a reformat on it and there is no OS installed, just a
low level DOS fdisk format) all goes well during boot until LILO starts and
then elects to stop at LI with the blinking cursor.

I'm totally lost as to how I can boot with this drive on so I can add
another OS to it. Would someone kindly point me to my obvious error. Since
it's a SCSI drive, it has to be on at boot up in order to been seen and
thus used.

Many thanks,

When you say removable, I'm assuming you mean the whole drive is removed or not from the scsi bus, rather than media being removed from a drive which is permanently on the bus.

Correct

Just a guess, the removable disk has a scsi id between the other 2 drives. Hence, when it is off bus, you have /dev/{a,b} and when it is on bus you have /dev/{a,B,c}, where B is the removable drive and old a,b become a,c. Thus LILO is confused. Maybe?

Right on the money. The drives are pinned as 12, 13, and 15, and display as c, d, and f respectively on the drive light displays. So I never paid any attention to the SCSI readout on boot. Shame on me. ;-( The SCSI readout shows the drives as a=12, b=13, and c=10 just as you suggested. Now the question is where lies the problem with the drive and it's case. Time for some sleuthing.

Vince

My thanks,

dave

--