Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1 Success
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 00:00:17 +0200
On Saturday 22 May 2004 21:25, Jerome R. Westrick wrote:
> So how do you explain my bad luck with 3 different systems: One home made
> and to office cyberpower boxes. All run AMD on Soyos.

Maybe it's the boards? Are they the same models? I have only ever read of
Soyo bards on the internet - never seen any in my country, so I have no
experience of them. It could maybe just be that you got three from a bad
batch. I recently sent three Intel mobos back because with a P4-3ghz, 1GB
dual-DDR400 they were slower than the P4-2ghz/256mb single channel DDR266
systems they replaced. Bad boards, these things happen to the best
manufacturers.

It could still happen that some patch or feature in the SUSE kernel causes
trouble, and that that specific patch isn't in the Fedora kernel (If Fedora
continues Red Hat's tradition, there probably isn't a lot extra in that
kernel). I have two ASUS SiS based Pentium-I boards that simply won't boot
anything newer than a 2.4.20 kernel, even a vanilla one. Something change
that they don't like, it makes the kernel panic. Again, these things happen.

--
Kind regards
Hans du Plooy

< Previous Next >