Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1 Success
  • From: Ralph Sanford <rsanford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 11:42:19 -0600
On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 04:13, Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 05:56, Clayton wrote:
> > > I see your point here and I am so eager to install SuSE 9.1.
> > > It's just that I can't ignore the messages I read. Especially
> > > I am concerned with this issue about NTFS resizing described
> > > in this review:
> > >
> > > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1585840,00.asp
> >
> > Personally... I wouldn't use the SUSE installer to resize an NTFS
> > partition. I've had no problems with FAT32 partitions, but NTFS
> > and Linux don't play well together. Do it the easy way... use
> > native Windows tools to do it. You can use some of the tools
> > provided with Win2k (not sure about XP) or use a 3rd party tool
> > like Partition Magic. Saves you a lot of grief and trouble.
> >

> Which version of Partition Magic will resize the only partition - NTFS
> under XP? I've got my hands on a Dell D600 Latitude laptop that I wants
> to downsize that single partition to open up room for either 8.2 Pro or
> 0.1 Pro.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

Having been using Partition Magic since the days of OS/2, I am somewhat
surprised about your concern using PM on an NTFS partition. The
earliest PM manual that I still have is PM v4 and it clearly states that
version 4 can create, size, or move NTFS partitions. NTFS has been
around at least since WinNT 3.5 and Partition Magic has always been able
to change NTFS partitions since at least that time.

If your concern is about using the PM GUI on WinXP then try and not use
the PM GUI wizards. PM has the ability to create bootable floppies that
include a graphical version of PM. By using bootable media you can use
PM to change partitions of a hard drive in most configurations, or
configure the partitions before any OS is installed, or even delete a
partition if the OS on the partition becomes too corrupted to allow
access.

So ignore the installed OS, burn your version of PM to floppies or a
bootable CD, make the changes that you want. Partition Magic is
Windows-centric so I suggest that you only use PM to manipulate the
Windows partitions. Leave a chunk of hard drive as unallocated,
preferably as a logical rather than primary partition. Then use the
expert configure utility in SuSE setup your actual Linux partitions.

I have found that occasionally Windows will not accept partition changes
made to Windows partitions by Linux and also that Linux will not accept
the Linux partitions (/, /home, etc.) as setup by Partition Magic. Use
PM to change Windows partitions and use Linux to change Linux
partitions.

btw -Partition Magic 7 manual says it works with WinXP

--
Ralph Sanford - If your government does not trust you,
rsanford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - should you trust your government?

DH/DSS Key - 0x7A1BEA01