Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1 multiple IP woes (desperate!)
  • From: Vince Littler <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 16:30:15 +0100
On Saturday 22 May 2004 3:11 pm, root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm at wit's end here. I've added a network config file for the
> additional interface in /etc/sysconfig/network called ifcfg-eth1:0
> and on the boot I get this error message:

[snip]

> So I figured, okay I'll kludge it and I added a script to run ifconfig
> to add the interfaces. I've tried running the script in run level 2 and
> run level 3. I tried running the script out of boot.local. It didn't
> work at any level. I get the following error message:

[snip]

> But here's the thing: If I log on right after the boot and run the
> script, it works perfectly fine. So I know the script works, but it
> doesn't work on the boot. What am I doing wrong????
>
> TIA,
> Jeff

I am sorry to say I have no advice to give on this one. But, Jeff and others
affected by this issue, I hope you will stay to the end of this, because it
probably needs raising with feedback:

<http://www.suse.de/cgi-bin/feedback.cgi>

I too am struggling with the issue of a second interface. Although I saw the
earlier thread on this issue, it remains on the back burner, until I have
sorted out the boot delay problem [another thread]. Fortunately, I am only
trying 9.1 on a spare partition, I still have my 9.0 working.

My requirements are different from yours, although under 9.0, like you, I use
an ifcfg-eth0:0 file. I run 2 virtual LANs, one for SAMBA which has fixed IP
and no route to the internet, which is the only LAN boxes booted to windows
are allowed to see. The other is DHCP, with a route to the internet, only for
boxes booted to Linux. The latest sysconfig scheme does not appear able to
open 2 interfaces on 1 device, with static and DHCP. Whether this is a
deficiency of sysconfig, or its documentation I am not sure.

As much as I read in /usr/share/doc/packages/sysconfig/README, is that for
various reasons, it has been decided to clarify the abstractions of 'device'
and 'interface', to better cope with hot-plugging and otherwise optional
hardware and provide consistent interface names over reboots and hotplug
events. So far so good, I understand what they are trying to do, and I think
it is the right thing [in the long run].

However, the implementation is immature, [and or] the README referenced is
incomplete and there is no adequate documentation. In my opinion, sysconfig
should not have been released in its present state. I think that SUSE really
must make a serious decision here.

1] If sysconfig can actually support mutiple IP in all the ways which posters
on the topic are trying to use it, so that if they did something before
without a script, they still can, and if they did something before with a
script, the script either still works or can be easily changed, then SUSE
need to put out some comprehensive documentation QUICKLY.

2] If 1] does not apply, then SUSE should QUICKLY put up a YOU patch to revert
sysconfig to 9.0.

Alll the best

Vince Littler